Look out for the very distinctive and attractive green circular signs with the Horwich Town Council Coat of Arms on various buildings in Horwich. The eighteen signs represent a considerable part of Horwich Town Council’s ultimate ambition to create a complete heritage trail through the town. The signs acknowledge that the building has either historical significance or has an Plaque association with a prominent citizen(s).
In 2021 a new civic plaque was installed at Horwich RMI Cricket Club to commemorate its significance as the home of cricket in Horwich since 1892.
If you would like to nominate a site for a commemorative plaque, please contact the Town Clerk, Town Council Office, Horwich Community Centre, Beaumont Road, Horwich, Bolton BL6 7BG.
Tel: 01204 691090
Follow the Trail
Horwich Public Hall, Lee Lane
This has been the home of local government in Horwich since 1895. The building was presented to Horwich by Peter Martin, a mill owner.
Arcon Village, Chorley Old Road
Sign actually on 1 Mill View Lane (private dwelling) Former site of Wallsuches Bleachworks, established by Thomas Ridgway in 1780 and closed in 1933.
Horwich Community Centre, Beaumont Road
Formerly known as the Resource Centre, Horwich Town Council have used the building as a Community Centre for voluntary groups & organisations since 1991 & it is also home to the Heritage Centre. Built around 1910 two plaques commemorate its former use as a territorial army barracks & the bravery & sacrifice of soldiers from the Horwich Territorials in the First World War.
Horwich Loco Estate, Chorley New Road
Horwich Locomotive Works occupied this site, being in full operation by 1892. Its closure in 1983 was a great loss. It was the main employer in Horwich and it had a huge impact on the development of the town.
Ridgmont House, Chorley Old Road
Home to the famous Ridgway family from 1801 to 1860. The Ridgways created employment by founding Wallsuches Bleachworks. They were great benefactors.
New Chapel UR Church, New Chapel Lane
A religious building has stood on this site since 1690, although the present building dates from 1719. It was named ‘New Chapel’ to distinguish it from the ‘Old Chapel’ i.e. Horwich Parish Church.
The Crown Hotel, Chorley New Road
Originally a stagecoach inn with a toll bar on the Turnpike Road. Rebuilt in 1886 following the opening of the Loco Works.
Horwich Parish Church School, Chorley Old Road
Built in 1793 by public subscription for the benefit of the residents of the new Bleach Works Village.